I agree that non-committer review make more sense if the reviewer has
established some level of credibility and involvement in the community.

Ultimately, the final committer has to be a community member and they will
have final responsibility for the code being Apache compliant and NiFi
ready, so even reviews by less well known members of the community should
still be low risk.