Adam,

If you're doing bulk ingestion of JSON, I would recommend using
PutHBaseRecord. I wrote it/contributed it when my team ran into similar
limitations doing genomic data ingestion (several 10s of billions of Puts
from the 1000 genomes project). If you run into problems with it, just post
them and poke me.

Mike