Mike,

Thanks for moving things forward on the JUnit 5 migration. I posted a
couple comments on the PR for nifi-commons (NIFI-9080) with concerns
related to breaking tests and perpetuating ignored unit tests.

Summarizing in this thread for general discussion, I am concerned about
breaking unit tests as part of the migration process. As long as NiFi
supports both JUnit 4 and JUnit 5, the migration should improve the overall
testing environment. Breaking existing tests will require additional work
to go back and fix, and spending the effort upgrading and reviewing test
classes doesn't seem worth it if we continue marking tests as ignored.  In
some particular cases, it may be worthwhile to remove a test method or test
class. For test methods related to performance, migrating to JUnit 5 seems
like an ideal opportunity to make tests conditional on environment
variables or system properties.  I would be glad to help with the migration
process, but it would be helpful to avoid having to revisit code multiple
times to address these issues.

Regards,
David Handermann