> Is it even relevant at all?

The release of 2.3.1 dates back to January 2016. That's quite a long
time and we cannot recommend to use 2.3.1 anymore mostly due to outdated
and potentially vulnerable upstream dependencies Nutch relies on.
So, in consequence we would need to advice all users of 2.3.1 to switch
to use 1.x/1.15 immediately.

Also, there are 81 issues resolved in 2.4 - the work on 2.x still continued
in 2016 and 2017, began to slow down in 2018 and almost entirely stopped
this year with only a few commits related to maintenance issues. Would be
somehow sad to leave all the work done addressing these 81 issues unreleased.

Of course, if there is nobody which takes the time to test the release and
vote for it because all thinks it isn't relevant: this would be a clear vote
not to release and to announce the end of 2.x right now and to withdraw the
2.3.1 release packages. The code would be still accessible from the release
archives and it will als remain in the repositories anyway.

Best,
Sebastian