How about just collecting a bunch of commonly used configurations from
users? Maybe using the example configs that are in the repo now, but
adapting them to be run on the version that is being run in Jenkins...?
That is not perfect, but even having 10-20 example configs would be better
than 1. :)

That would reduce the time but would not find all of the errors. Sometimes I build 300 or so configurations before I see the first failure.

We need to build more configurations to catch more problems, not fewer.

I think fewer would be okay for a pre-commit check, provided that the entire set were built at least once per day.  I have no idea how you would pick a representative subset.  Maybe it would be best to select them randomly on each PR?