On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 1:00 PM David Sidrane <david.sidr...@nscdg.com> wrote:
> If you look at the Kinetis,
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-nuttx/blob/master/arch/arm/include/kinetis/kinetis_pmc.h#L50-L63
>
> You can see the gist of that approach.
>
> It idea was as developers on the outside of the MFG, we only see the deltas
> in datasheets. We do not know, the feature set that was added to add to the
> silicon.
> So if the IP versioning is not described by the MFG we can make up names.
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-nuttx/blob/master/arch/arm/include/kinetis/kinetis_pmc.h#L50-L63
>
> Then add the "HAS"s. To a feature set or chip and have reuse at the chip
> level and not litter the code with partnumber.

Thanks. I looked at that...

I'd like to ask: It seems that some decisions are made in Kconfig
logic using hidden configs, e.g.,

    select KINETIS_HAVE_LPUART0, or
    select STM32H7_FLASH_CONFIG_I

while other decisions are made in code, e.g.,

    #if defined(CONFIG_ARCH_CHIP_MK28FN2M0VMI15)
    #define KINETIS_PMC_VERSION KINETIS_PMC_VERSION_05

Is there a policy or rule of thumb as to when MCU-specific stuff is
decided in Kconfig and when it's decided in code?

Thanks,
Nathan

P.S., I couldn't help myself, if I see a typo, I have to fix it, or I
don't sleep well at night. :-)