I am having some trouble understanding how NSH_TELNET is supposed to
work in NuttX now. It used to work for me on real hardware.

I saw that some people had problems because of not synchronized nuttx
and apps repos, because some PRs were merged at different times. My
nuttx and apps are both based on latest master.

Recently (last couple of weeks?) there were some PRs in both repos
related to telnet, CR/LF, CLE, or I don't know what, and the behavior
changed:

Now, when I type, I see double characters, and they get mixed up, and
also seem to change with some delay. For example, if I type 'help':

[[[

$ telnet 192.168.10.100
Trying 192.168.10.100...
Connected to 192.168.10.100.
Escape character is '^]'.

NuttShell (NSH)
nsh> hehehelp

]]]

Typing 'help' and pressing Return does not work: Momentarily I see ^M
when I press Return but it is replaced by duplicated characters of
'help' and the help does not print.

Typing 'help' followed by Ctrl+J instead of Return does work and the
help does print, but there is garbage displayed momentarily.

If I change telnet mode to 'line' instead of 'character', it works
better, but then I see each line of input echoed a second time. For
example, notice how I type 'help' + Return and I see "helphelp usage"
on the next line:

[[[

$ telnet 192.168.10.100
Trying 192.168.10.100...
Connected to 192.168.10.100.
Escape character is '^]'.

NuttShell (NSH)
nsh> ^]
telnet> mode line

nsh> help
helphelp usage:  help [-v] [<cmd>]

    .         basename  dd        exit      ifup      nslookup  set
   uname
    [         break     delroute  false     kill      printf    sleep
   umount
    ?         cat       df        free      ls        ps        source
   unset
    addroute  cd        dmesg     help      mkdir     pwd       test
   uptime
    alias     cp        echo      hexdump   mkrd      rm        time
   usleep
    unalias   cmp       env       ifconfig  mount     rmdir     true
   xd
    arp       dirname   exec      ifdown    mv        route     truncate

Builtin Apps:
    telnetd    morsecode  sh         ping       tmutil
    ostest     renew      netcat     nsh
nsh>

]]]

If telnet is working for you, what telnet program are you using and
what telnet settings do you have?

Thanks,
Nathan