Hmm, this Stack operates on stuff that is public anyway, so anyone can
access and do whatever they like with it (assuming respecting the
license), including AI training, private repositories are not exposed,
right?

Apache also use their own GitBox repository.. but that redirects to
GitHub anyways o_O

https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf#nuttx

After Microsoft took over the GitHub I also  switched to Open-Source
GitLab (so did for instance KiCAD).

But many projects are on GitHub and most people prefers that one.

What is the problem here? Do I miss something? The repository is public anyways?

What would change if we had switched to GitLab and someone trained
silently their AI from that repository?

What other way can you see to work on a public projects?