On 5/3/2024 8:31 AM, Kenneth Pettit wrote:

There is an effort to make a Z80 replacement chip:

https://app.tinytapeout.com/projects/668

This is just a start since there are limited I/O pins on Tiny Tapeout, but I think the plan might be to eventually put it on an MPW to have a fully functional Z80 replacement (maybe).

In the meantime, Digikey and Mouser seems to have thousands in stock, so get them while they are still available!  :)

Z80 is a lot of fun to play with.  Unfortunately, there is no Z80 toolchain supported by NuttX so it is not usable.  The 64KiB address may be a problem now too.  The Z180 is also supported but currently has no toolchain (it used SDCC too).

The main problem with SDCC is that cannot support passing unions or structures as parameters or as return values.  POSIX depends on this.

Almost all of the ZiLOG parts are no longer usable.  None of those that depend solely on ZiLOGs ZDS II toolchain will build (z8, zNEO/z16).  The ez80 also uses the ZDSII toolchain but there is alternative beta GCC support for the ez80.

The main problems with ZSDS II is that it is C89 and very buggy.

Ken, if we were to invest in revitalizing the parts what toolchain would you recommend?