Hello Sharan,

I am really excited to see this that we are thinking about participating in
Google Summer of Code this year and I can say from my personal experience
as a past GSOC student and mentor/org admin from last 3 years for different
organisations, GSOC really helps the project. I would be interested to
mentor the students also andf where ever I can help.

For the process I think we need to list the projects ideas on official
apache page so students can start looking into the ideas. Another important
point here I want to mention from my experience as a student while we
select a project, is that the title of the projects should be clear and
easily understood and technologies used should be a bit exciting so
students read about the project in detail.

Regarding the difficulty level and understanding OFBiz architecture they
have around good amount of time before the coding period starts so in that
time they can understand and try some tutorials that way they can speed up
the things. Also, many times what happens is project is not completed
entirely in single GSOC and that if fine as some work is done and can be
continued by another student in next year also.

Also, as mentioned atleast I have seen mentors need to spend around 6 hours
weekly with students so to keep track of the project. Daily check-in status
and weekly call with mentors really helps.

These are some of the points from my experience, would look forward to see
Apache OFBiz project in GSOC :)

Thanks
Gaurav

*Gaurav Saini*