Hi,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 05:08:47PM +0100, Michael Brohl wrote:

> > - Adopt Github Pull Request (PR) as the unique channel for code contribution
>
> -1
>
> I don't see a reason why we should not allow patches also. It will make it
> easier for people to contribute who are not able (or willing) to run their
> own GitHub repository.
>
> We should encourage people to use PR's but not force it (at least, not
> immediately...).
Agree encouraging is better, but that will become invalid if it is
chosen to use Github as the new way to report issues/improvement
contribution. In that case the patch is a more complex way to
contribute and discuss contributions.

> > - Require tickets only for bug reports
>
> -1
>
> Jira tickets for improvements/new features are extremely helpful to have
> everything in one place (with the addition to a link to the mailing list
> discussion), track the efforts, watch issues etc.
>
> How would you manage the work then?

Agree that being restrictive is not good.

> > - Replace JIRA with Github issues
>
> -1
>
> Why should we have two different issue management systems when we can have
> everything in one place? What advantages do you see for doing so?
>
> I also would not rely too heavily on GitHub because it is not an official
> ASF resource and IMO Jira is a huge knowledge base of the project.

If i understood well the proposal is to *replace* one by another, to
avoid the usage of multiple tools (for PR and issues).
The problematic is the lost of history and like was said github being
external to Apache.

But what Jira do offer that github do not ? Is that possible to keep
Jira as a legacy bugTracker for history sake ? Is that to much work for
us to adapt to this new tool. Do other apache project use github as
their bugTracker, and is that an issue ? This has to be analysed.

> > - Use Github API to get the stats for OFBiz monthly reports
>
> Can you elaborate what you mean/ how you would do it?

I guess that building reports onto number of PR merged/closed, number of
commit, listing of github issue by type (those that exists, that
matters), etc.

Thanks