On Mar 13, 2012, at 7:59 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> Jacopo,
>
> Could you share with the rest of us the limitations caused by the refactoring?

Definitely: I will review, study and use the new code and I will provide
feedback about the gaps I see.
One thing that I am not sure I like is the fact that now some of the strings in
Groovy will be expanded using the FlexibleStringExpander rather than the Groovy
GStrings... this could be confusing when you are programming in Groovy.
I was also planning to use closures to manage nicely EntityListIterators... but
I can probably still do this in the GroovyBaseScript.

> The work I committed is just a springboard - anyone can modify it/extend it
> in any way they want.

Ok, this is good... and dangerous if anyone will add what they want without
first agreeing/understanding on the purpose of this class. Do we all agree that
it should stay clean and light by providing simple access for common operations
rather than providing access to all the possible operations? I mean, it should
provide a mechanism to perform tasks in the most common ways; for special (less
frequent) tasks the calling script should use the features provided natively by
the language and the standard API (delegator/dispatcher/etc...).

> As I mentioned previously, the GroovyBaseScript class can simply delegate to
> the helper class:

Yes, I will re-implement it following this design and let you know how it goes;
but we will still need the Groovy service engine and Groovy event handlers...
in order to keep the architecture clean should we start to think to them as
extensions for the applications only? I mean that they could be part of the
future release of "OFBiz Applications" and not part of the future release
"OFBiz Framework". In this way the dependency and custom Groovy code will all
be in the Applications (if they will be reimplemented in Groovy) and the
framework will stay clean and light.

Jacopo