Le 04/07/2017 à 16:57, Michael Brohl a écrit :
Hi James,

thanks for your suggestions.

As far as I know, JSF would introduce some new technologies because it relies on beans and JSP's (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure if we want to go so far.

Facelet is now the recommended technology for JSF https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2095397/what-is-the-difference-between-jsf-servlet-and-jsp and both are parts of JavaEE.

I agree with Michael and would not like to change OFBiz widgets for JSF. Not that I don't like nor trust JSF (and Oracle, but then a bit less), but the work is overwhelming and obviously we don't have the resources for that.

I digged a little deeper into the UI stuff, templates and theming and have to correct my summary a bit: I mentioned AngularJS and Bootstrap on the same level which is like comparing apples and oranges. AngularJS is a client-side JavaScript framework to build single page applications, icluding his own model-view-controller mechanism while Bootsrap is a CSS framework which provides comprehensive UI elements in a structured way.

I guess that the use of Angular would need a whole lot more changes in OFBiz
than the use of Bootstrap.

So I tend to think that we have to agree on a CSS framework like Bootstrap and rewrite the UI to use the proper CSS classes for this framework. That would possibly reduce the complexity and makes this statement of mine obsolete:

> - we will need a new approach to be able to "plug in" different UI frameworks. We'll need a UI layer who represents the screen contents in an abstracted way (possbly an enhanced Freemarker macro library) and make it possible to generate HTML code with the right css attributes for the target library.

It's maybe too ambitious wanting OFBiz to be able to be used with different frameworks. The Bootstrap CSS world is well documented [1] and there are a lot of really good looking and functional free templates out there. So if we provide the UI code for it, together with one basic theme, users can put their own themes on top of it.

Maybe this is a way to come to a competitive UI in a relative short amount of
time. I don't think that we can afford to make this a year-long project.

What do others think?

I agree that using Bootstrap would be a good thing. An alternative is Foundation https://www.keycdn.com/blog/bootstrap-vs-foundation, this could be possibly discussed. That's what ilscipio has used, with some success at the UI level I'd say (they now tend to lean to Foundation). Now they derived from OFBiz at other technology levels (no or less form widgets but more FTL macros, even an API of FTL macros). So I'd try to compare the rest...

I'd also let Angular out of the picture. Some prefer React (initially from FB) and I wonder what those who have used Angular 1 think about Angular 2! I also remember another Google "attempt": GWT. Are there still people using it with OFBiz? I guess you get my point, trends pass and tools with them...

Jacques

Best regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH