P.S. On convenience. Cloning into single directory and setting up single
project makes it works just as well. Decent IDEs handle this easily.

On tracking history. The need to track history of experimental code
obfuscates its poor documentation. If the code if properly documented
(including documenting design decisions), there is no need to search
history. Moreover, if experimental code changed approach or algorithm
radically (with reasons that should be documented), the history might
confuse more than clarify.

Modulo tracking history, multiple modular repos are more flexible than one
jumbo repo.