JIRA is in motion - INFRA will disable new JIRA requests so please don't
create new tix.



On Fri, Sep 18, 2026 at 4:43 AM Kristian Rickert <[email protected]> wrote:

> I also think we should turn on discussions too, so people can have an
> easier time differentiating their email filters and we won't have to do
> [DISCUSSION] in the future.
>
> We should push all open issues too, which means a cleanup task that we've
> been procrastinating on.  There are a few old duplicates. I once went into
> this chest and found some good nuggets in there we should do and a lot we
> should just close.  I'll manually look through them slowly but surely.
>
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2026 at 4:38 AM Kristian Rickert <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> I agree with you.  Doing it now.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 18, 2026 at 4:08 AM Richard Zowalla <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> So actually it is just a PR towards enabling it in ASF yaml + update in
>>> the docs / website / README.
>>> We should also state, that legacy issue content can be found in Jira.
>>>
>>> I am in favor of migrating the „open“ issues to GitHub though - AFAIR
>>> Maven has some custom tooling for it, so it doesn’t need to be run by INFRA.
>>> But would be cool if INFRA could just do that (migrate „open“ issues) …
>>> we could ask.
>>>
>>> Otherwise we would need to re-create, which would just be time
>>> consuming. WDYT?
>>>
>>> Gruß
>>> Richard
>>>
>>> > Am 18.09.2026 um 04:35 schrieb Kristian Rickert <[email protected]>:
>>> >
>>> > I agree.  We should always keep the dev email list open, just as
>>> another
>>> > channel of communication but the system of record after it's enabled
>>> should
>>> > be the issue tracker and discussions.
>>> >
>>> > Per the jira ticket then:
>>> >
>>> > , to enable issues on your project repo, just include the feature in
>>> your
>>> >> asf.yaml with 'true', like this:
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >> github:
>>> >> ..
>>> >> ...
>>> >>  features:
>>> >>    issues: true
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > I'll make a small PR tomorrow
>>> >
>>> > On Sat, Sep 12, 2026 at 1:44 PM Richard Zowalla <[email protected]>
>>> wrote:
>>> >
>>> >> It doesn‘t need issue migration, imho.
>>> >> Enabling via ASF yaml would be sufficient, imho
>>> >>
>>> >>> Am 12.09.2026 um 15:00 schrieb Kristian Rickert <[email protected]
>>> >:
>>> >>>
>>> >>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-28394
>>> >>>
>>> >>> Was created..  Should I create another one for addons?
>>> >>>
>>> >>>> On Sat, Sep 12, 2026 at 7:56 AM Kristian Rickert <
>>> [email protected]>
>>> >> wrote:
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> On it!
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2026 at 1:47 PM Richard Zowalla <[email protected]>
>>> >> wrote:
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>>> Can be re-picked up since M6 is released now.
>>> >>>>> If you are still available Kristian, feel free ;-)
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>>> Am 01.09.2026 um 08:34 schrieb Martin Wiesner <
>>> [email protected]>:
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> Hi all,
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> In general, I’m +1 for this move. However, I’m a bit hesitant
>>> towards
>>> >>>>> doing it "asap“-ish.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> As you might remember, we have a 3.x roadmap that tells us, M6 is
>>> to
>>> >> be
>>> >>>>> expected around Sept 18 - which is pretty soon.
>>> >>>>>> Therefore, I’d like to process the upcoming 3.0.0-M6 in the
>>> classic
>>> >>>>> JIRA-driven approach.
>>> >>>>>> After we climbed this load-bearing rung, we can hopefully convince
>>> >>>>> INFRA to make the switch for us.
>>> >>>>>> Hopefully, the process of releasing a 3.0.0 (GA) is easier
>>> afterwards.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> I hope you understand my point and have some patience in sending
>>> this
>>> >>>>> mail /ticket to INFRA.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> Best
>>> >>>>>> Martin
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>> Am 30.08.2026 um 19:36 schrieb Richard Zowalla <[email protected]
>>> >:
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>> I am still +1 for It (similar to March).
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>> Let’s wait 72 if anyone objects with a reason otherwise we assume
>>> >> lazy
>>> >>>>> consensus and proceed with the INFRA ticket.
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>> ===========
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>> INFRA
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>> After a discussion on our dev thread the OPENNLP project would
>>> like
>>> >> to
>>> >>>>> proceed with the migration from Jira to GitHub Issues.
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread/gk5rgsf19qrzq1732zo2d5mtg3lthj1t
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>> Please let us know if you need anything else or if a PMC member
>>> needs
>>> >>>>> to comment on this issue too.
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>> Thanks,
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>> kristian
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>> ===========
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>> Cheers
>>> >>>>>>> Richard
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> Am 30.08.2026 um 10:55 schrieb Kristian Rickert <
>>> >> [email protected]
>>> >>>>>> :
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> I'd love to proceed with this too and do it sooner rather than
>>> >>>>> later.  So I'll offer up to create the INFRA ticket to start this
>>> >> procedure.
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> Pending any objections here's what I'd send in the ticket:
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> ===========
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> INFRA -
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> After a discussion on our dev thread the OPENNLP team would
>>> like to
>>> >>>>> proceed with the migration from Apache to github for issues.
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread/gk5rgsf19qrzq1732zo2d5mtg3lthj1t
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> Please let us know if you need anything else.
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> Thanks,
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> kristian
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> ===========
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> Once created, A PMC member will reply that it is fine to do and
>>> than
>>> >>>>> you can just reference the thread in the ticket.
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> Any objections?
>>> >>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>> On 2026/03/28 09:45:10 Richard Zowalla wrote:
>>> >>>>>>>>> HI all,
>>> >>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>> Looks like we are in favor of doing so.
>>> >>>>>>>>> Let’s wait until the current releases are out and completed and
>>> >> than
>>> >>>>> I create an INFRA ticket referencing this thread, so they can do
>>> the
>>> >>>>> migration and get things up.
>>> >>>>>>>>> I think it would be nice to do it before having a 3.0.0 final
>>> :)
>>> >>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>> Gruß
>>> >>>>>>>>> Richard
>>> >>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>> Am 25.03.2026 um 16:39 schrieb Jeff Zemerick <
>>> >> [email protected]
>>> >>>>>> :
>>> >>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>> I am +1 on adopting GitHub Issues. I'm not aware of any
>>> >> significant
>>> >>>>>>>>>> difficulties faced by the ASF projects that I have seen use
>>> it. I
>>> >>>>>>>>>> think it would make issue tracking a lot easier.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>> Thanks,
>>> >>>>>>>>>> Jeff
>>> >>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Mar 25, 2026 at 8:47 AM Martin Wiesner <
>>> >> [email protected]>
>>> >>>>> wrote:
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>> Hi all,
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>> I’m also +1 for that "move“.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>> Atl. Jira has it strengths, yet I agree it poses barriers to
>>> >> (new)
>>> >>>>> contributors, as adds in extra complexity for the workflow of
>>> bringing
>>> >> in
>>> >>>>> contributions.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>> Given Richard’s experience with the actual migration steps
>>> and
>>> >>>>> ASF’s support, I see no reasons why the project shouldn’t try
>>> Github as
>>> >>>>> primary platform.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>> I think, we could thus reach a much broader audience.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>> @Richard: Do you think that should be done before a final
>>> 3.0.0
>>> >> is
>>> >>>>> out?
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>> Best
>>> >>>>>>>>>>> Martin
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> Am 25.03.2026 um 10:04 schrieb Atita Arora <
>>> >> [email protected]
>>> >>>>>> :
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks for putting this together so clearly, Richard.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> I'm in favor of the move and the migration path being
>>> >>>>> well-established
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> makes this a low-risk change.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> The GitHub Discussions idea for the user list is interesting
>>> >> too.
>>> >>>>> Worth
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> trying!
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> +1 from me.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> Best,
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> Atita
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Mar 25, 2026 at 9:16 AM Richard Zowalla <
>>> >>>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> Hi all,
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> I'd like to start a discussion about migrating our issue
>>> >> tracker
>>> >>>>> from Jira
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> to GitHub Issues, as several other ASF projects have
>>> already
>>> >> done
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> successfully (Maven, Storm, Arrow, Lucene, and others).
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> The main benefits I see:
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> Contributors no longer need to create a Jira account to
>>> file a
>>> >>>>> bug or
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> feature request, which alone can make a noticeable
>>> difference
>>> >> in
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> participation. GitHub's "good first issue" labelling is
>>> widely
>>> >>>>> used and
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> well-known, making it easier to attract new contributors
>>> and
>>> >>>>> widen our
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> community.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> On top of that, enabling GitHub Discussions could replace
>>> our
>>> >>>>> current user
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> mailing list, which has been fairly quiet for a while.
>>> Mailing
>>> >>>>> lists are
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> showing their age as a communication channel, and many
>>> people
>>> >>>>> today are
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> simply more comfortable engaging in a web-based forum
>>> style.
>>> >>>>> GitHub
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> Discussions would meet users where they already are,
>>> >> potentially
>>> >>>>> breathing
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> new life into community interaction around OpenNLP.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> The migration path is well established: INFRA can migrate
>>> all
>>> >>>>> existing and
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> closed Jira issues automatically to GitHub, as has been
>>> done
>>> >> for
>>> >>>>> Maven,
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> Storm, Arrow, Lucene, and others, so we would not lose any
>>> >>>>> history.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> Regarding ASF compliance: archiving requirements are fully
>>> >>>>> covered, as
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> everything can be mirrored to the appropriate mailing
>>> lists via
>>> >>>>> .asf.yml
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> One thing worth acknowledging: moving to GitHub Issues does
>>> >> mean
>>> >>>>> leaving
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> ASF-controlled infrastructure and depending on Microsoft.
>>> >>>>> However, given
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> that ASF is already planning to migrate Jira to Atlassian
>>> >> Cloud,
>>> >>>>> we would
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> be leaving ASF's own infra (for issue tracking) either
>>> way, so
>>> >>>>> this concern
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> seems largely moot.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> I'm not aware of any blockers, but I'd love to hear
>>> thoughts,
>>> >>>>> concerns, or
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> prior experiences and start a discussion on it.
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> Gruß
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> Richard
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>>
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>
>>>
>>>

Reply via email to