Hi Pedro,

On 20.12.2012 16:21, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
Hello;

Despite being so subjective, this is an extremely interesting subject.

I went googling around the subject and it is quite important, I mean, there are
experts that
work on this stuff. For example, these guys will let you obtain a palette from
a picture:
http://www.degraeve.com/color-palette/index.php
Yes, experts. Colors are a wide area...
Nice links, Pedro!

The first list of colors used as a basis for WWW standards were actually taken
from the
X11 palette:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11_color_names

If we were to adhere to some standard I guess that would be the starting point.
Nevertheless,
this is a matter that is far from being standardized.

Looking at Symphony: I like the color palette but it still can be improved. If
you slide over
the colors you can see names and while some are descriptive, most are not
(cyan1, cyan 2)

There are certainly color professionals out there that have considered this and
some colors
are popular enough to have a name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors_(compact)

Good idea. I already thought about having a central place in the office with all known named colors (e.g. the Colors in the SVG standard, already in svgio module for example). The problem is that there are 24 million colors (0xff^3). Despite that, there may be serveral names per color. Despite that, the names are not translated. Are color names translatable...?

I would suggest that we do take initially the Symphony palette but attempt to
replace most
unnamed colors with something that can be identified by name in either of the
lists above.
It's a lot of work and I am not volunteering though :(.

I follow that suggestion: For now, let's use the (extended, see proposal) Symphony palette, but make a follow-up to find better color names.

In the long run supporting multiple palettes (as Rony suggested, too) will be unavoidable I think; there are sooo many interesting colors, alone following your links and all the slightly different tones of white. And all that is only in RGB color space...

regards,

Pedro.

Sincerely,
    Armin