Hello Jonathan,

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 02:04:22PM -0800, Jonathan Simona wrote:
> Hello everyone, my name is Jonathan Simona and I currently am attending the
> university: Cal Poly Pomona in California as a Computer Science major.
> Currently, I am taking a class on Software Engineering, in which we are
> required to join an open source project and submit two "non-trivial
> modifications or additions" such as bug fixes or adding a feature over the
> next two months.
>
> Even though I have decent knowledge about programming, I actually have no
> experience in fixing bugs nor the knowledge of how to go in and submit
> patches that will fix/modify bugs/features on open source projects. Since
> this community seemed very friendly towards new users, I was wondering if
> someone would be willing to show me the ropes and possibly point out two
> novice-like, yet still non trivial, things I could possibly work on.
>
> I thank everyone for their time in reading this email and to anyone who is
> willing to reply.

As Andrew told you, the first step is to checkout the source from trunk,
and try to get your first build. You can find information on the
Building Guide:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO

I'd recommend you use git-svn instead of subversion. Also get a disk
with enough space: the source tree is ca. 2.6 Gb, and it grows up to ca.
15 Gb in a non-pro build with symbols.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile