This is not a vote.  There is a statement about what is acceptable
mathematically that I cannot leave unchallenged.  However, that is different
than what might or might not be acceptable computationally for a give case and
I continue to refrain from reiterating any argument about that.

 - Dennis

MATHEMATICAL RIGHT/WRONG-NESS

I'm sorry, I will not accept that 0^0 = 1 as a definition is "not wrong
mathematically."  It is not right mathematically either.  That it is convenient
to assume 0^0 = 1 in certain contexts of mathematical *application* is
different than making it part of the laws of number theory.

The problem with 0^0 = 1 as a rule is that it has as a consequence that 0/0 = 1
as well or else standard mathematics is inconsistent.  But 0/0 = 1 (or any
fixed value) makes mathematics unavoidably inconsistent anyhow (as the
well-known defective proofs used to claim paradoxes like 0 = 1 and 1 = 2
demonstrate).  There is no escaping the fact that x/0 needs to be undefined and
that includes 0/0, so 0^0 needs to go along.

Let us not confuse computational expedient or algorithmic simplicity with
mathematical rigor.  When a computer arithmetic had no provision for coding
errors and indefinable cases, computational concessions were unavoidable (as is
the case for integer types in common programming languages).  That is not the
case with spreadsheets, which do include error values, nor is it the case with
modern floating-point arithmetic implementations (and the standards they
satisfy).

I understand Knuth's argument (and its form in "Concrete Mathematics" and in
"Art of Computer Programming").  But adding rules to *mathematics* that make
the standard model of arithmetic inconsistent is not mathematically
justifiable.  It is very handy, in certain contexts relying on mathematical
definitions, to define the x^0 case to always be 1 regardless of x.  In the
case of the binomial theorem, it appears to be an appropriate simplification in
providing algorithms that are "easier" to reason about in some respect.  That
context is specifically (a+b)^n by polynomial expansion and in this context the
particular case of n = 0 and b = -a is perhaps not all that interesting in
comparison to the serious cases.

Unfortunately, the computation, POWER(x,0) has no mathematical context.  It is
not known what POWER(x,0) is being used for, and what the nature of x is.

Although the standards for C and C++ have division by 0 to be undefined, there
is not such clarity for pow(x,y).  The ANSI/ISO Standards for C thought of as
C90 define pow(x,y) to be a domain error if the "result cannot be represented
when x is zero and y is less than or equal to zero."  Even so, Plauger's 1992
"The Standard C Library" has pow(x,0.0) return 1.0 so long as x is neither NaN
nor an Inf.  Harbison and Steele's "C: A Reference Manual", 4th (1995) edition
simply assert that pow(0.0,0.0) is a domain error.  The ISO C99 specification
says that "a domain error *may* occur if x is xero and y is less than or equal
to zero [emphasis mine]."  The C++ library, for non-complex x or y, has
pow(x,y) be as defined for C (without reference to any details) and <math.h>,
at least in the 1999 book on "The C++ Standard Library."  By ISO C++ 2003,
pow(0,0) is implementation defined.  Of course none of this is about
mathematics.  It is about constraints on the definitions of computer software
libraries and the compromises that are made in order to find agreement on
standards.  People vote on those.  Mathematics is not defined at the ballot box
(and legislation of the value of pi is not mathematics [QED]).