On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:38:57AM +0100, janI wrote:
> > I don't understand what you are talking about, it looks like you are
> > mixing what happens during building the product, with the final product.
> >
> > The final product, as can be downloaded from the final, in his language,
> > contain only resource for his language. Resources are located in
> > <BASIS_DIR>/program/resource/, there you'll only find a binary resource
> > file per module for the language the user downloaded; for example, if
> > I downloaded the Spanish version
> >
> > cuies.res
> > dbaes.res
> > etc.
> >
> > Look the contents of cuies.res with a hex editor, you'll find only
> > Spanish strings. Even if the user installs several language packs, the
> > application only loads the resources for the application language,
> > selected on the Options dialog (build main/tools/source/rc/resmgr.cxx
> > with debug, and look at the OSL_TRACE).
> >
> Somehow I am a lot more confused now. If all text end up as .res files,

Not all strings. Strings in src files, do. Strings in xcu files, don't.
See the UI commands, for example
/main/officecfg/<unxlngx6>/misc/merge/org/openoffice/Office/UI/GenericCommands.xcu

> there should be no reason to have all those different file formats we
> currently use. If would be sooo much simpler to have a file format for all
> text.

IMHO it would be better to use the approach that is currently used with
Basic dialogs: plain text files with a format à la java properties file.
This would allow localizers to modify strings in plain text files in
their installation and see the live result, no need to wait for a build.

> Are you also sure, that the en-US language is removed, I thought that was
> builtin and did not depend on external files. I will try to make a fresh
> install with a 3.4.1 image instead of from my compiled version.

Just download any full localized install set from
http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html#tested-full

In the program/resource folder you'll find only strings for the
downloaded language.

> I also have to find the point in the build process, where the languages are
> removed again, because looking at the source files in unxlng../misc they do
> contain all language (which is what localize_sl does).

Take for example trunk/main/cui.

In cui/unxlngx6/srs/*.srs you have the processed src file, with all
available localized strings

In cui/unxlngx6/bin/ you have a binary *.res file for every language in
--with-lang, cuien-US.res is the default. Compare it with cuies.res, the
later has only es localized strings, this res file is the one included
in the es full install set.

> But its "fun" to do step by step learning of how the build process really
> works compared to the documentation :-)

It easier to build with --html and look at the logs, this might give
some insight how src files are transformed to srs, and the srs compiled
to res files (search for rscdep, transex3 and rsc in the logs).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina