On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The PMC receives requests, every couple of weeks, from book publishers
>> for permission to use OpenOffice screenshots in a book.  Most often
>> they are asking to use a specific screenshot from the website that
>> they have identified, such as:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/product/pix/writer-big.png
>>
>> Generally, Apache permits the use of product screenshots in books, per
>> the trademark policy here:
>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#insidebook
>>
>> However, that only covers the trademark.  There is another rights
>> owner to consider, the author of the document included in the
>> screenshot, including any text, graphics, images, etc., displayed.  Of
>> course, the book publisher can avoid that issue by making their own
>> screenshots.  But that is extra work.  Generally they are trying to
>> clear permissions for dozens or hundreds of images.  The more
>> difficult we make it, the less likely they are use it.  Since this is
>> free publicity for us, we should try to make it easy for them to use.
>>
>> Another issue is that our posted screenshots are quite old.  They
>> don't reflect the new Apache branding.
>>
>> Here's how we can do better:
>>
>> 1) Create a set of "demo" documents that showcase the capabilities of
>> OpenOffice.  Use either public-domain text (Charles Dickens, for
>> examples) or Loren Ipsum, or original text contributed to the project
>> under ALv2 by the original authors.   We want documents, for all of
>> our applications. that look good, and are clearly under ALv2.
>>
>> Multilingual text would be ideal, or separate documents for different
>> languages.  (We do get requests from book publishers in many
>> countries, so having a native-language screenshot is ideal)
>>
>> 2) Create screenshots for each document, on each platform  Do it with
>> AOO 3.4.1 for now.  But plan on repeating with each major new release.
>>  Agree on screen resolutions, color depth, and image formats, so we
>> have uniformity.
>>
>> 3) Host the screenshots online, along with text that explains their
>> purpose and permissions.
>>
>> What do we think?  I can help with the webpage and with screen shots
>> on Windows.  But I'll need help assembling a set of showcase demo
>> files.
>>
>> Note: aside from book publishers, this will also be useful for
>> journalists who want a screenshot for an article.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> I thought I remembered seeing a screenshot area on the web site once upon a
> time, and here it is:
>
>  http://www.openoffice.org/screenshots/

OK.  That's the idea, certainly.  I see variations for different
languages there as well.  But it is all very old, some of the
screenshots from 2003, 10 years old!

> It took me a while to track this down though -- there's a link in the
> marketing area which needs to be fixed to get you to this older area.
> Originating from:
> http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/marketing_where.html

I fixed that link.

> Anyway, these are not standard by any means, but worth taking a look at I
> suppose. Also NO mention of specific license which would need to be
> included, etc.
>
> So, there is certainly a precedent for these.
>
> yes, we should update this area. Maybe a short blog for this kind of
> request?

That's one approach.   Ask for cool looking documents.  Another would
be to make our own, based on a theme.  For example, we could pick some
text, something classic, in the public domain, H.G. Wells, or Dickens,
but something appropriate to openness, sharing, or other open source
themes. Then use that text as a common element of our sample
documents. And then make the sample documents look good.  This could
work in Writer and Impress, where it is easy to put a quote.  But not
sure what to do about Calc... unless you make a chart of "four score
and seven years ago" ;-)

-Rob