On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 3:28 AM, Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23.04.2013 22:58, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>> In my search to find out more about resource files (.src), I came across
>> the old Tools information on the web server, and specifically the project
>> dependency chart:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/tools/project_dependencies.png
>>
>> Is this still valid?
>>
> No, it is not.  Some new modules are missing, for example apr, apr-util,
> coinmp, serf.
> We should create a new one.  This one has probably been created with
> graphviz.  Does anybody know of a better graphh visualization tool that
> produces prettier and/or better readable output?

I use Gephi, and it is quite good:

https://gephi.org/

If we can get the raw data into a CSV file showing the dependencies,
that will import nicely into Gephi.

For example:

A,B
B,C
B,D

This shows A depends on B, and B depends on C and D

You can also repeat edges to give them greater weight.

When graphing you can then scale the nodes so the ones that have the
highest in-degree are larges, i.e., the ones that most other modules
depend upon, etc.  You can also color code.  Of course, all this can
be done by graphviz as well.  The beauty of Gephi is it does these
calculations automatically,

Regards,

-Rob