On Aug 11, 2013, at 8:02 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Simon Kornblith <si...@simonster.com> wrote:
>> As I wrote in a previous post to openoffice-dev, this is not just about
>> having to modify the extension, which I would be happy to do. It's also
>> about having to modify the way we install the extension. But it's mostly
>> that our extension will break on upgrade from AOO 3.4 to AOO 4 for 100% of
>> our users no matter what, and the best we can do is to pop up a dialog
>> telling the user to update or reinstall it.
>>
>> If we can get a promise that future updates to AOO will always allow a
>> single extension to work with both previous and current AOO versions (even
>> if updates to the extension are necessary to do so) then I'd feel better
>> about supporting AOO 4.
>>

> The goal now, as always, is to preserve compatibility within a major
> release series.  So extensions for AOO 4.0 should be run fine on AOO
> 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, etc.   However, at major version updates, e.g., AOO
> 5.0, then you can expect extensions will need to be updated. Such
> major version releases happen at long intervals, longer than (I
> assume) your regular maintenance updates in your extension itself.

To be clear: we are happy to make changes to our extension to accommodate new
AOO versions. We make frequent changes to our Firefox extension to keep up with
Firefox releases, and we realize that API changes are sometimes necessary to
build a stable and competitive product.

What makes us unhappy is that it is impossible to build an extension that works
with both AOO 3.4 and AOO 4, and there is no change that we can make to our
extension that will prevent it from breaking when a user upgrades from AOO 3.4
to AOO 4. No matter what we do, our users need to install a different extension
after upgrading to AOO 4 to make Zotero work again.

From our standpoint, this not acceptable. It doesn't just take our time; it
takes our users' and our community support's time as well, and it's
unprecedented in 7 years' experience developing add-ons for Firefox, Word, and
OpenOffice.org. Again, it would be fine if the extension needs changes to work
with 5.0, as long as the same extension can still work with 4.x. There are a
lot of ways to do this, the easiest of which is just to allow loading different
versions of files for different AOO versions.

Simon