On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:26 AM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 13 August 2013 15:14, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 5:24 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > first if all I volunteer to act as the release manager for AOO 4.0.1 if
> > > that is wanted but I am also open to let somebody else to the job ;-)
> > >

> > It is probably best if you continue, since 4.0.1 is very closely
> > related to 4.0.0, and you already have the build environment set up,
> > etc.
> >
> +1
>

> > > In preparation for an AOO 4.0.1 release I have first created a AOO400
> > > tag based on revision 1503704. I have also created a new branch AOO401
> > > based on branch AOO400 based on the head revision of the branch.
> > >
> > > I noticed that Yuri checked in some code on the branch already. Can we
> > > please follow some guideline how we handle such release branches?
> > >
> > > I would like to propose the following:
> > >
> > > Changes on a release branch should be discussed before and should be in
> > > relation to a proposed and approved fix (if you want showstopper) that
> > > will go in the next release.
> > >

> > > For now that means the branch AOO400 is dead and changes towards AOO
> > > 4.0.1 have to be made on the new branch AOO401 and should be discussed
> > > first. Or propose the related issue as showstopper first.
> > >
> > > I believe we agreed more or less to keep the changes for AOO 4.0.1
> > > minimal to reduce the test effort. We should concentrate on the most
> > > serious issues only and on new languages or improved translations. Keep
> > > in mind that AOO 4.1 is coming as well. Stability is a key feature and
> > > every single bug fix can introduce a regression as well. Often not
> > > obvious directly.
> > >

> > I assume we also want to avoid introducing new UI strings?   Otherwise
> > we'd require translation updates on all languages.
> >

> I would formulate it stronger: we cannot allow new strings, unless it is
> absolutely unavoidable.
>

> > > Any opinions or comment son this plan.
> > >

> > Should we create new Release Notes?  Or augment the existing 4.0.0
> > ones?   It might be simpler if 4.0.x releases share the same release
> > notes, but we start with fresh ones for 4.1?
> >

> Lets share release notes, amend so that is clear what is only available in
> 4.0.1, and start from a fresh with 4.1

For 3.4.1, which was basically an update release with addtional languages,
the release notes were sort of like an addendum to 3.4.0 --

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Release+Notes

I think Release Notes for 4.0.1 should be similar but, yes, we need a new
page for them.