And update of data gathered from website visitors.  Of the ones who
come to our website from a search engine results list (and that is 48%
of our total visitors), the top ten search queries, along with a count
of recent visitors, are:

1. open office (326,369)
2. openoffice (213,374)
3. openoffice download (32,188)
4. openoffice.org (21,786)
5. オープンオフィス (13,476)
6. open office mac (11,307)
7. apache openoffice (10,576)
8. open office download (8,964)
9. openoffice for mac (7,395)
10. download open office (7,006)

Note the strong drop after the first two queries.

(And what is #5?  Japanese?  What does it say?)

So what does this all mean?

A. Users are not consistent about whether the name is one word or two.
 Maybe they hear about the name by ear?  Or maybe this is just the
pull of standard language rules.  The noun is "office" and "open" is
an adjective.  It is hard to overcome years of schooling to think of
an artificial name like "OpenOffice".

B.  The core name in their mind is "OpenOffice"/"Open Office" without
the ".org" or the "Apache".  This is what they are searching for when
they look for us.

Now, one might have a theory that uses searching for "open office" end
up on our website by mistake.  Maybe they were searching for something
else.  For example, this term is also used to refer to an office
seating plan without walls, where everything is open in a big room.
This is also an "open office".  However, if I look at only
search-directed traffic that actually leads to a download of AOO, the
query "open office" and "openoffice" are also at the very top of the
list.

Regards,

-Rob