On 04.09.2013 16:13, janI wrote:
On 4 September 2013 13:59, Herbert Duerr <h...@apache.org> wrote:

On 04.09.2013 11:15, j...@apache.org wrote:

Author: jani
Date: Wed Sep  4 09:13:51 2013
New Revision: 1519953

Log:
update to UTF-8

Great, thanks! And kudos to Tsutomu too!

But I noticed that in the l10n40 branch the *.po files of all languages
are checked in amidst the main source code in the main/languages directory.
Wouldn't it be better to keep all these 600 megabytes of localization data
separate, e.g. in extras/ where it used to be?

In my opinion po files are just as much source as any other part of main,
and not something extra.

When using the argument "extra", we should move quit a lot of modules away
from main, since they are not compiled into our release (at least as far as
what I can see).

Yes, I agree. A lot of modules belong into ext_libraries for example
avmedia, beanshell, curl, epm, graphite, hyphen, jpeg, libpng, libxml2, libxmlsec, libxslt, lucene, moz, nss, openssl, python, redland, rhino, saxon, tomcat, vigra, zlib, ...

main/languages and main/l10ntools forms together with a couple of other
modules (like i18n( our integrated international part, The intention of the
new toolset is to make a deeper integration and not push it further away.

In the example above with all the external modules we already have such a tight integration that simply moving them into ext_libraries is a non-trivial task. Our goal should not be to tighter integrate them into our codebase but to work towards using the off-the-shelf releases of them. Using them better with their published interfaces is a worthwhile goal.

The localizations have a clearly defined tasks and they are huge. When major UI changes are underway they create heavy commit traffic. When researching the code history or when bisecting for regressions these commits cost extra time. And since we are considering to commit directly into the l10n repository from pootle this commit rate could increase by orders of magnitude.

Herbert