Hi Jan,

[...]
I have to ask very clearly; is the opinion of the community, that .po files
is not to be considered a vital/integrated part of our source tree and
should be moved away ?

I believe they are as important as the source code. But they are not source code! Also templates, clip art, etc. are just wonderful to have. The more the better. They are not source code either. Having them all localized would be a big plus though. Having all the localizable stuff not being spread out all over the repository would be helpful IMHO.

IIRC all the localized strings were in the source files itself. Then they were split off into *.src file, were they were maintained until 2004. Then the individual localizations were split off again and collected in the l10n project. This consolidation of localizations was a good cleanup IMHO.

Modern platforms try to split the resources and the binaries. They even split the resources in itself, e.g. for different target resolutions. And nobody is complaining that e.g. low-DPI targets are discriminated against.

But I trust your assessment of the situation. Please consider the points I made and do what you think is best.

Herbert