We have many channels to develop support, you can go to a web forum at
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/ or this user mailing list. If you feel this
is a bug, you can report it at our bugzilla https://issues.apache.org/ooo/

There are options to enable or disable rulers, you can also go to the Tools
-> Options -> Writer -> View to enable them.

Here is a page of our Writer guide on our Wiki:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Writer_Guide/Changing_page_margins

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor