On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Roberto Galoppini <
roberto.galopp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/10/30 Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>:
> > On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Vladislav Stevanovic <
> > stevanovicvladis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> @Kay: In my earlier mail of this discussion:  "Also, "Filter option" on
> >> site "Extension" need to has option for what version of AOO you want to
> >> find extension."
> >> I do not know how I droped this from my Proposals.
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Wlada
> >>

> > Ok -- yeah I see that now in the thread but not in the "proposals" -- it
> > was somehow missed and it really is the easiest solution to this dilemma.
> > Well, at least with Roberto's help, we can move forward with this idea.
>
> As promised I've investigated further into this issue, here my findings.
>
> A) Despite we'd love to be able to distinguish between 'maintained'
> and 'umaintained' extensions there is no easy way to tell. In fact
> developers when they create an extension they can set a minimum and a
> maximum release version. Most of the times only a minimum release
> version is indicated.
>
> B) Extensions' authors can also use Extensions website to indicate
> release compatibility.

ok, this B) is what I was referring to (and probably Wlada as well).

I don't know how easy it would be for SF to "get at" this information, at
least, and use it in a filter. If it could be done, we could at least start
there.

> Having said that if we want to figure out if a given extension is or
> is not AOO 4.0 compatible we need to test it ourselves.
>
> I believe the best way to go is to get a team of people committed to
> test few extensions and report findings. Based on those findings we
> could send a message to those extensions' authors to inform them about
> the compatibility check. We could add that we'll take care of updating
> the Extension website accordingly, so that end-users will know if a
> given extension works or not on AOO 4.x.

This is a good way to get going on this for sure!

> I can take care of delivering the mass mailing as we did in the past,
> we probably need a bunch of volunteers to test those extensions so
> that we can target at least the top 100/200.
>
> Does it sound like a plan?

yes, and a good one.