Am 11/11/2013 04:12 PM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
On 11/11/13 3:59 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 3:32 AM, Shenfeng Liu<liush...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Hi, all,
   It was one month since 4.0.1 release. And I noticed some some great works
are going to be delivered soon. e.g. the IA2 framework from Steve, the Mac
64-bit support from Herbert, and Windows Patch mechanism from Andre.

   So I'm thinking, is it a good time to start the 4.1 plan now? We should
deliver those great value to our users through a formal release ASAP! And
IMO, even only the 3 items above can be enough for a release to be called
4.1. We also want to do OOXML improvement by integrating OSBA patches, and
enhance user experience like in-place Input Field, and many other things...
While, I think we can keep the continuous improvement across releases. From
the record breaking download number since 4.0 and 4.0.1, I feel that
keeping regular release is very important to response to our users, attract
more new comers, and bring this product to success.

   So I suggest we start the 4.1 plan now, and set a target date. Since 4.0
was in July, 4.0.1 was in Oct, I feel some time in 1Q will be a good time
for 4.1.

Hi Simon,

Something to think about:   After 4.0.0 we discussed having a public
beta with out next major release.  If we think this is worth doing,
then we should plan on two dates:  1) A public beta data, and 2) a
final release date.   For the beta to be useful I think we would want
it to last 3-4 weeks, enough time to process any new bug reports,
identify any critical regressions, and fix them.

4 weeks between both is a minimum form my pov

But having a beta is of course the route we should take.

What about taking into account to keep the possibility to release a second Beta version? It can include fixes for the most nasty and prominent bugs.

If we agree on that, we should expand the timeframe to 6 or more weeks.

My 2 ct.

Marcus

   I suggest to update the 4.1 planning wiki[1] and:
(1) Set the target date.
(2) Clean up the planning list, starting from leaving only the active
items, and moving the rest to project backlog[2].

   Any suggestion/comments?

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1+Release+Planning
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Blog