Am 04/03/2014 02:27 PM, schrieb Roberto Galoppini:

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
Am 04/02/2014 09:22 PM, schrieb Roberto Galoppini:

Am 04/02/2014 06:20 PM, schrieb Roberto Galoppini:

   Am 03/31/2014 11:56 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

    On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Rob Weir<robw...@apache.org>
wrote:

    On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Marcus (OOo)<
marcus.m...@wtnet.de>

wrote:

   Am 03/29/2014 09:36 PM, schrieb Roberto Galoppini:

    Am 03/13/2014 10:01 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):

    Am 03/09/2014 06:08 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):

    Am 03/08/2014 12:09 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:

    Rob Weir wrote:

    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Office/Office-Suites/

   Apache-OpenOffice-253.shtml

      Or maybe a disclaimer in the voting thread email?

   Andrew's comments show clearly that these editors do not
care

to be
careful or factual, or even read those disclaimers,
unfortunately.

We can be successful only if we manage to block their
downloads.

   They

   link to our binaries hosted on SourceForge (which is fine). Just

thinking loud, but if it was possible (on the Sourceforge side)

deny
all download requests that do not come from the
openoffice.orgor

   the

   sourceforge.net domains, then the project would effectively be
in

control. The embargo could be lifted just after the release.

   For me this sounds like a great idea.

Maybe we should start with denying all download requests that
some

   from

   these bad websites.

@Roberto:
Can you tell us if this possible? If yes, is it much effort
for
you?

   Do you see a chance to get this implemented? I think it
could

help to
stop some bad websites to do bad things with our software.

   @Roberto:

Maybe you haven't seen this up to now.

   Thanks for heads up Marcus, sorry for not having noticed this

thread
before.

   It would be great if you can tell us if it's possible to
exclude

some
domains / IP addresses from downloading our software?

   I need the domain list and I'll check out with our SiteOps if

that's
doable. Feel free to send me a list with a direct message.

- chip.de
- computerbase.de
- softpedia.com

This would be the domains from this thread that could be blocked
from
downloading from Sourceforge. Obviously needs to be extended in
the

   future.

   Remember, the next will happen with the AOO 4.1.0 RC. ;-)

*Of course*, this is just for the time frame as long as the new
version

   is

   not officially announced. As soon as the release is public, the
block

   will

   be removed.

@all:
I think this could help to limit the downloadability like we want
see
until the official release. What you think?

   I don't know.  Won't this just cause confusion?  They point to
the

files, go to test them, see the links don't work, and then get
weird
errors and spend an hour trying to debug it.  We don't want to
needlessly annoy them, since their only fault is enthusiasm.   Is
there a way we can give a useful error message in this case like,
"This version of Apache OpenOffice has not yet been officially
released.  Links to these files are disallowed until the release is
officially approved"  or something like that?

   To be honest, I don't care about a few days were a special set of

domains
were not able to access for a few days. For me they are a bit too
enthusiastic. And as you said in a previous post it's to protect us
as
best
as possible.

    +1 This seems sufficient to me.

@Roberto:
Do you see a technical way to return a predefined error message when
the
release builds are already on Sourceforge but not yet officially
released
and published?

Our SiteOps team looked into this, here our findings:

Great :-)

   One provider (chip.de) serves via Akamai CDN, one provider (

computerbase.de)
serves via their own FTP server, and softpedia.com lists SourceForge
as
an
external mirror and passes traffic through our download redirector
flow
(not direct to a mirror).

The first two cases are things we can't control.

In the third case, we can indeed redirect this traffic by referrer to
different landing page if one is provided. Maybe we want to have a
openoffice.org page explaining that's a release-candidate and it's
served
only for testing purposes and its use on a daily basis it is not
recommended.

How does that sound?

I'm pretty sure that these kind of downloaders do not care about
disclaimers - less then ever when located somewhere else. ;-)

So, either we disable the entire download for the specific timeframe or
at
least a text as substitute (like "This release is not yet public.
Please
stay tuned and come back when it is announced."). But this text has
then
be on Sourceforge in the same location.

Yes, that's doable in the way Kay described. And yes, we would add the
text
and disable downloads.

Just to be sure, is this limited to a special subdir like
".../files/milestones/"? Or also, additionally for ".../files/"?

I'm wondering if the "staging" bit can help as best solution. I would
expect that the new location is not public *and* not known *and* not
useable/functional for the normal non-admin user *until* we remove the
bit.
Am I right?

In past we extended the 'staging' period of time for weeks, this could
be
done again if necessary and it's definitely a more effective way to
share

Good to know. I thought you had extended the timeframe permanentelly. ;-)

It's still set to 21 days maximum. We can of course extend that if needed.
I'll take care of that.

files only with a selected audience (admins). Would that work, or you
want
to be able to share those files with a larger audience?

I don't think it's relevant to a wider audience.

We still speak about the timeframe between starting uploading to
Sourceforge
and the official announcement. Within this timeframe it should be
possible
for admins to test the download webpage with scripting - to see if it
will
work - but there must not be no way to download the builds from the
public.

So, I would prefer to go with the "staging"-bit as:
- it is already available
- there is no confusion for the public
- it's easy to delete the bit to make the release public
- and (please don't get me wrong ;-) ) we can do it alone without the
help
of you or someone else of Sourceforge.

What do others think about this?

My original recommendation was to put a more prominent warning in the
[VOTE] emails.  The problem is this:  if we are to have a public vote
then the files we're voting on must also be public.  Whether this is
on SourceForge or people.apache.org, it is publicly known that this is
the 4.1 RC and some websites will download and copy onto their
websites.   I don't think there is any technological means to prevent
this.  We only have our ability to educate about the risks.

Yea, actually as per my previous email we can just mitigate the issue for
those who point to us to serve downloads, anyone else can actually download
it - either from their domain or other IP - and then serve it through their
services.

IMHO we can skip this when using a staged folder. Then they don't see anything and cannot download finally.

If it's not much of a trouble what about having a different splash-screen,
with a big sign "Attention" explaining that's just a release candidate and
it's not the final product and we recommend to visit always OpenOffice.org
to get the latest available release?

That's of course a very good idea for Beta releases or any other pre-final release. However, it will not help for RCs as we declare these builds as final when we don't get (severe) complaints. This means RC and final version are technically the same bits and bytes. So, here we should avoid any temporary splash screens.

Marcus

     Then we can exclude requester that we don't want (e.g., malware

"distributors").

Also in time frames with Beta or RC releases it can help us to
steer

   who

   is able and when it is possible to download OpenOffice like we
want

see

until the real release date is reached.

    Thanks

Marcus

      Sure, sites could still copy all binaries being voted upon
and
offer

   them locally, but this would require a more significant
effort.
on

their
side.

   And more HDD space and more own bandwith - which is also
not

what

   they

   want.