Hi,

On 28.04.2014 10:38, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
On 4/28/14 12:29 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:

Hi all,

while enjoying the Easter time I made some progress about a long-term
problem:

- Downloading the offered file via the green box is fast and easy
- Downloading a different file than the offered is not

Via the big table on the "other.html" is now easy to maintain for us but
has no improvement for the user as it is large and complex.

Therefore I've thought of making another offer directly on the main
download webpage:

http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/index_droplist.html

Please don't look too close to look & feel - sure the grey color is not
the best one ;-) - this can and will be improved for sure.

For now please have a look for the functionality via the drop-down boxes
and the then created links below them.

What do you think? is this a direction we can/should go in general?

Thanks. I do like this idea. It's very straightforward.  I think this might
be better integrated if this new area could be placed directly  under the
"found" version in the green box. Maybe with some slightly smaller styling.

And, looking at what else we have going on here, and the information in the
lower lighter green box, I would suggest we move "Release Notes" as the top
item under "Documentation"

and move "Source Code and SDK", "Portable and USB ports" and Legacy
versions to "Additional Resources". (well some of these items are already
there really but maybe need to be reworded.)

This way the top darker green box would display the version found for the
user along with the new drop down and the lighter box underneath would only
contain signature and hashes info.

I like the idea in general as well and Kay provided some good ideas
already to improve the structure.

We should use the drop down boxes to for older releases as well. Means a
further drop down box where the user can select the version, default is
always the latest and greatest.

For example for 4.1 we can drop the 32 bit version for Mac to avoid
confusion.

The link 'Get all platforms, languages, language packs' can be
potentially removed completely if we allow the selection of the product.

+1 from my side for the general idea of the proposal.

Kay's and Jürgen's suggestions also make sense.

Best regards, Oliver.