For MathML in ODF 1.2 documents, a MathML root element must conform to
[xml-names] and the root element must have a namespace declaration.  Of course
an embedded MathML element must also have a namespace binding as well.  (This
is in the section on Namespaces and the one that defines OpenDocument
Documents.)

Also, schema validity, not DTD validity, is required.

THE TEST DOCUMENTS

I notice that the usage on the web pages that demonstrate some of the tests,
the pages are XHTML and the namespace is used on the <math> elements.

In the .mml files themselves, there is no XML prolog at all in the ones I
looked at.  There is no DOCTYPE, there is no <?xml> and there are no prefixes.

I think if you add a DOCTYPE, you should still have an
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"; on the root element.  But I think
just adding the xmlns declaration should be sufficient for the tests to work.

If for some reason, xmlns:math="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"; appears to
be required, that is probably because there is an old parser being used and it
isn't actually doing namespace processing correctly.

Is this helpful?

 - Dennis