-- replying below to --
From: Regina Henschel [mailto:rb.hensc...@t-online.de]
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2014 09:00
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: Need help in the code jungle of starmath

Hi Dennis,

Dennis E. Hamilton schrieb:
[ ... ]

> <orcnote>
>      I'm not clear what is the issue about MathML
>      Names.  If there is a character-set encoding issue, I think that
>      can be handled in the <?xml> prolog element for free-standing
>      MathML XML documents.  What non-Unicode are you encountering?
> </orcnote>

It is not about encoding, but about an entity reference like &int;
instead of the numeric XML character references &#x222B; or the literal
character ∫.

<orcmid>
   Ah! Character entities.  Yes that is a problem.
   Hmm, perhaps a standalone internal DTD could be used to define these.
   I am not certain how one gets around DTD validation.

   It would be nice
   to use the character entities rather than the character references.
   I would avoid the literal characters of course, because their being
   understandable depends on font availability.

   Does the MathML DTD provide definitions that could be moved to an
   internal DTD?

   Perhaps a brief experiment to see if that much will be accepted by
   the SAX parser?
</orcmid>

Since the development of XML seems to go in the direction to waive
doctypes, I will give this import problem a low priority.

[ ... ]