On 07/01/2015 Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
Can you explain "STV" please.  (What do the letters mean?)

Single Transferable Vote. To our purposes, in our very simple election, this is a single-turn replacement for the mechanism I originally proposed (i.e., remove the least voted candidate at each round).

Are folks required to rank all of the candidates in their ballots?

No.

Seen from a voter's perspective this means: choose the subset of candidates that are acceptable to you, then rank them. If you only like one candidate, you obviously write his/her name only; if you like more than one, list the ones you like in order of preference, starting with the one you like most.

Regards,
  Andrea.