Am 02/19/2015 11:14 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
On 19/02/2015 Marcus wrote:
OK, next try. Still an error message?

Well... we NOWHERE, and I repeat NOWHERE, advertise the URL
https://www.openoffice.org ; as a courtesy to those people who prefer
HTTPS, we make it available, but if they use broken extensions or
paranoid security settings they cannot blame us too much.

then the solution would be to make it unavailable. ;-)

Seriously, I agree with Jan. When it's available then it should work.

Furthermore, there is also involvement of SEO: Google prefers the availability of HTTPS over HTTP.

Then:

1) I also get (Firefox) the warning about "This website does not supply
identity information"; I didn't investigate this one.

2) We still load components from HTTP. Marcus, the Net panel in Firebug
will show you the URLs to all components. You will see that starting
with a 404 (?) for
http://www.openoffice.org/images/formElementDropShadow.png?2011060812
you have a series of action buttons that are all included via HTTP. This
is because lines 56- of
https://www.openoffice.org/home.css
contain explicit HTTP links.

You may fix it (but I would need to check the CSS syntax for the url()
parameter) by:
- Using /path/to links as Ariel suggested
- Using // URLs (e.g., "//www.openoffice.org" will point to
https://www.openoffice.org when called in a https page and to
http://www.openoffice.org when called in a http page) ; I'm not a big
fan of this solution, I would prefer the former one.

All of this would anyway fix an undocumented, unpublished URL that we
make available just to please people (remember, this is a static HTML
site with no interactive server-side functionality or logins).

I don't want to stress a new topic. :-P However, wasn't there a discussion to request a SSL certificate from Infra and the point was IMHO the difficulty to get this as a wildcard certificate?

Anyway, I volunteer to do fixes where they a re needed (yes, I know we have a big wesite. ;-) )

Thanks for your valuable hints.

Marcus