On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 17:27:04 +0200
Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 06/18/2015 05:03 PM, schrieb michael maloney:
> > No, you've obviously have never used linux.  This has nothing to do with a
> > stable or unstable internet connection.  It has everything to do with tar
> > gz and deb files which are a pain in the #$%#$.  It has everything to do
> > with that fact that Apache Open Office is user unfriendly for linux users.
>
> as Fedora is working with the other package manager (RPM) I don't know
> the problems with DEB files. But that the Linux distributors prefer LO
> *and* don't leave a way for alternative software is indeed a problem.
> Then you have (possibly) to deinstall LO and delete remaining files
> first before getting AOO problem-free onto disk.
>
> Sorry that this is not going as smoothly as it could be.
>
> Marcus

If one wishes to install OpenOffice on a Linux system it is helpful to
completely remove LibreOffice.  One does this quite easily on any computer
using DEB files by (in a terminal):

sudo apt-get purge libreoffice*

Installation of the OpenOffice DEB files is quite simple - I download the
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.1_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-GB.tar.gz package, as that
is my choice for language and bitness  - a different language or bitness choice
will use a different filename and unpack directory.

Then I use Archive Manager to extract its files into ~/Downloads/en-GB, start a
terminal and issue the following sequence of commands:

cd ~/Download/en-GB/DEBS
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

and OpenOffice is installed without problems. All done and installed in about
three minutes.

Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>