Thanks for the information, Carl.

The labeling and naming of the jar files may need to be considered, as well as
inclusion of other information in the jars themselves.  It may be appropriate
to include meta-inf/LICENSE and meta-inf/NOTICE files if the jars are
distributed separately from AOO binaries.  There should be some information on
how to find the corresponding source releases as well.

For signing and hashes, how would a recipient of these files via Maven know
where to find those bits (i.e., KEYS and any hashes or their equivalents with
Maven)?

This looks like an opportunity to be Release Manager for these simple detached
distributions.

 - Dennis

SOME RELATED BACKGROUND

There has been considerable discussion about binary distributions on some of
the general lists lately.  Ways of using Maven came up. I don't think that the
proposed UNO Jars case is a problem so long as the material is synchronized to
an official distribution from AOO.

There is a draft policy on the subject.  It now appears to be at the desk of VP
Legal for further disposition.  Depending on how these jars already accompany
Apache OpenOffice releases and distributions, there may be no problem other
than attention to the details I mentioned.  Here is the latest draft of the
proposed update/clarification of the current release policy:
<https://github.com/rectang/asfrelease/blob/draft3/release.md>.

The current policy is here:
< http://apache.org/dev/release>.

You can follow the discussion on legal-discuss @ apache.org.