On 17 Oct, Don Lewis wrote:
>>> The AOO410 branch needs r1697228, r1697237, r1697247, r1697306, and
>>> r1697312 from trunk (which are sequential commits with no unrelated
>>> commits between the first and last).
>>
>> Are all of these FreeBSD specific? We are not going to merge a lot of
>> patches now that we are in the final QA phase. If you want to work on
>> this discuss on Bugzilla (just open an issue and CC me, pescetti), but
>> I'm willing to take a look only because building on FreeBSD is a
>> "Release Blocker". And if anything is too risky for a proper
>> integration, or if it may affect other systems, I'd rather not port it
>> at this stage.
>
> This is not FreeBSD specific.  I think it would affect anyone attempting
> to build with OpenJDK8.  Has anyone tried this on other platforms?  With
> two exceptions that I noticed, all of the changes seem to be to javadoc
> comments, which openjdk8 seems to be pickier about.
>
> Could it be that the javadoc stuff is optional?  For some reason, the
> FreeBSD port builds and uses epm to package the SDK (which the port
> ignores when building FreeBSD packages), but the buildbot-style builds
> I've done do not. Figuring out why the port is building the SDK is on my
> TODO list.

I dug into this and found that at least the FreeBSD buildbot uses
the--disable-odk configure option, while the FreeBSD port does not use
this option.  That means that the FreeBSD port unnecessarily builds the
SDK even though it is not included in the binary FreeBSD OpenOffice
package.

When I added this configure option to the FreeBSD port (disabling the
SDK build), I was able to successfully build OpenOffice with OpenJDK8.
The only issue with OpenJDK8 seems to be building the SDK, though I
believe this will affect all platforms.

> I am testing a patch for the FreeBSD port, so I should be able to commit
> that and unbreak the port for OpenJDK8 in the next day.

I added this patch to the FreeBSD port and committed it yesterday, so
the SDK is now buildable on FreeBSD with OpenJDK8.