Ok, I am changing my vote to:
[0] Abstain

See below for details.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
>
>> [-1] Disapprove
>>

> That's bad! Let's see if we can manage to explain it and at least get a 0,
> since I don't see anything really blocking in your reports (I mean, we do
> not require that the release has no issues at all, and we agree that what
> we are releasing is better than 4.1.1 was).
>
> The deal breakers:
>> 1. The source tarball (tar.bz2 at least) contains main/MacOSXX64Env.Set
>> and
>> main/MacOSXX64Env.Set.sh. I don't believe they belong in there (they're
>> not
>> in trunk), and if they do, they're missing ASLv2 licenses and cause
>> unapproved license errors in the RAT report.
>>

> This is true but it is cosmetic, meaning that this is simply a generated
> file that was archived by mistake. If you configure the sources, you will
> get this or the corresponding file for other platforms. It is not in our
> tagged snapshot at
> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/branches/AOO410/main/ and while
> it would be possible to simply remove it, I still see it as simply cosmetic
> (but I'm available to discuss whether we should remove those files; this
> affects only the sources, it is a merely cosmetic change since those files
> are unused or overwritten during the build, and it has zero effect on the
> binaries so we needn't new binaries; and it does not even require a commit,
> since it is a problem with assembling the .tar.gz file).

I suppose since the file is generated, unused, and was present in previous
releases, it shouldn't stop this release.

Apache release policy may require those files to be removed or copyright
notices added because "Every source file must contain the appropriate ASF
License text" (http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#license) and "Every
ASF release *must* comply with ASF licensing policy. This requirement is of
utmost importance and an audit should be performed before any full release
is created. In particular, every artifact distributed must contain only
appropriately licensed code" (http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html). But
since the file is a generated file and not a source file, that may not
apply?

> 2. The source fails to build on 32 bit Xubuntu 14.04 both on VMs and
>> physical hardware (details later).
>>

> We officially support Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. In terms of "baseline",
> the reference for Linux is, for historical reasons, CentOS 5 (a still
> maintained, but quite old, version; this means that our binaries can run on
> virtually all distributions); build works there. There are hundreds of
> other distributions: with the new bugfixes, OpenOffice will build on recent
> versions of Fedora and Ubuntu (64-bit). Xubuntu 32-bit might be one of the
> platforms where it is fine to describe how to fix the build (more below).

Ok, good that we use CentOS 5 for binaries. My concern is that if it
doesn't build on 32-bit Xubuntu, it won't build on 32-bit Ubuntu either, as
they are very similar. But I'll check that at some stage. Since most people
don't run Linux, and most Linux users won't be building from source, and of
those building not all will be on 32-bit (X)ubuntu, and we can document the
workaround, I guess it's ok.

None of the below should stop the release; I was just commenting generally
and explaining why some tests weren't done.

Regards
Damjan