Sorry for the top post. It really is not as mysterious as it seems.

The legal-discuss@ list is where we should go for clarifications if this
community has trouble with specific answers.

The main emphasis about the voluntary contribution policy is about code
contributed to and distributed by this project within our source code releases.

If code is contributed then there are various ways the contribution should be
handled. In general patches contributed via bugzilla are assumed to be safely
AL v2,0. All project committers have signed a Contributors License Agreement.
Larger contributions like Oracle's and IBM's go through an SGA process and
gene...@incubator.apache.org is involved either as a incubating project or as
ip clearance.  In all cases there is some oversight and public record. Anyone
can subscribe to the commit mailing list.

If part of the source archive or a commit is called into question then the
question is dealt with by evaluating the facts. The PMC has removed
inappropriate contributions. These discussions are private and have occurred.

We always need to discuss specific examples in the project first.

Adding project dependencies is a different question. In that case license and
use are more determinant. The boundary between operating environment may come
into play. Answers on legal-discuss do vary and LGPL system libraries on Linux
may be allowed, depending on the case.

We need to be able to interpret here first. We benefit when the community
perceives  correct ip requirements for contribution.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone