[orcmid]

Marcus.  I am not certain what you mean by 1% of AOO installations?

My biggest concern, with respect to potential exploits is that the obvious
target is using crafted Microsoft Office files that find vulnerabilities on the
Windows versions of Apache OpenOffice.  That is a very large target in terms of
the Apache OpenOffice community.  There is also the prospect of exploits via
crafted ODF files.

Please explain what you mean by the 1%.

> Furthermore, what needs to be done on our side:
>
> - more testing if the application is still working when we build every
>    byte new from scratch.
> - upload the files of hundreads of megabytes to SourceForge
> - the connected mirrors need to sync them all
> - earliest after x days the new release is distributed and the downlod
>    is actually working
> - agreement how to increase the version number. Everytime x.y.z+1 just
>    for a little fix?
>
> I hate this comparison but OK. Microsoft has a similar big office suite.
> But I've never seen a new release with just a fix. They always provide
> (more or less) little patch files. Sure, they will be searched,
> downloaded and installed automtically, so the user doesn't need to do
> much. But still, they are little files.
[orcmid]

I agree that we do need to understand the friction that our build and
deployment process raises.  But improving that will take longer.  It is
valuable to do for many reasons, but it means revamping our build and
distribution process in major ways, especially for our Windows users.

We need a manageable process for when we are under a strict time window because
a vulnerability will become known or, worse, there is an active exploit "in the
wild."  Perhaps it means addressing only one or two platforms, limiting the
number of localizations addressed, or other shortcuts.

I do believe that if we are talking about maintenance releases of an existing,
stable release, the QA process can be limited to confirming that there is no
regression.