I thought that the basic requirement is that the release manager(s) do any
builds on a machine under their [exclusive] individual control.  That also
means satisfying baseline requirements for release builds though.  That pretty
much requires use of a VM if the main development system of a release manager
is aligned with different tools and dependencies.

I am not so certain about putting up shared release-build VMs on non-ASF
infrastructure though.

One advantage to using ASF infrastructure is to bring code signing into the
fold.  That seems rather important down the road.

 - Dennis