[ ... ]
> > We are signing. We always did. Just, we do it in a way that Windows
> > doesn't like. The "signed installers" discussion comes from this
> > incompatibility.
> [orcmid]
>
> A little touch-up on the situation.
>
> It is not about Windows not liking the PGP signatures.  It never sees
> them.
> What Windows sees are Windows-specified signatures embedded in the
> downloaded software itself (and also on the DLLs and such that are
> installed.
>
> These are part of the file properties.  Those properties that can be
> inspected by users and, even better, operating system software.  That is
> what we don't do (although other producers of OpenOffice-lineage
> software do).
>
> To favorably compare a procedure that requires expert users to perform
> manually seems odd to me.
[orcmid]

PS. What the embedded signature provides to not-so-expert users is an easy way
to check that a download from any site is signed by an authentic source.  It
also may pacify anti-virus and browser download tools. Those message requesting
administrator permission to perform an install will also be more re-assuring.

Although not so foolproof *after* a download has been installed, with a little
more expertise users can also verify whether soffice.exe, etc., are also
authentic.   That could be true even though an installer delivered
adware/malware on the side.