I think the observation was that ODF was not designed with interoperability
with Microsoft in mind.  In fact, that case was officially excluded, although
the work on OpenFormula in ODF 1.2 was designed to accommodate Excel and had
participation of Microsoft experts.

The folklore about all of this does not account for improvements that have
happened over time.

For example, it is no longer the case that Office does not support what is
called strict OOXML, after using transitional originally and also still
supporting it (but not as the default output as far as I can tell).  That there
were migration steps was certainly an important legacy consideration for that
product.  Although not involving such a large user base, the same applied with
regard to the Star Office formats supported as legacy in OpenOffice and
ensuring that legacy prospect in the design of ODF too.  (The ODF project was
originally named the OpenOffice project, with the change made at the last
minute for ODF 1.0.)

It is a misunderstanding to assume that there is some "strict" ODF conformance
requirement.  That is factually not the case, nor does anything in the
specification require some clear conformance for interoperability.

I daresay that *no* implementation supports the full features and details of
ODF, and there is no requirement that *any* implementation do so.  In addition,
there is extensive under-specification of some features (e.g., nothing about
macro languages [;<), with many implementation-defined and
implementation-specific holes.

What worked for a time was using OpenOffice's support, whatever it is, as what
others attempted to match in regard to supporting ODF in an interoperable (with
OpenOffice) manner.  That is no longer a workable guide as OpenOffice and
LibreOffice extensions and feature differences increase in support of the ODF
format.  And OpenOffice does not participate in the work toward ODF 1.3 at
OASIS, although that may not matter in the long run.  ODF may simply become
whatever LibreOffice does, just proving that any open-format standard can
become a silo.

The legacy Microsoft Office formats are documented and those documents are
freely available and are used.  That extends to RTF as well. Meanwhile, there
are many undocumented uses of ODF, including of binary formats inside ODF
documents.

It really is a matter of "choose your poison."

 - Dennis

PS: The ODF specification is not tight enough for what many seem to
automatically presume.  For a technical analysis of that, I have a
free-to-download technical paper that walks through how it goes, with the
failures of change-tracking as a case study: <http://nfoworks.org/rct/>.  Click
on the title "Tracked Changes" for the free PDF.  Sections 1-2 should make the
situation clear enough.