In general, we are documenting our release process in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/How+to+Cook+a+Release.

We have a problem that the ASF itself documents the rules for voting on releases in two places: http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-approval and https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

Those rules do not quite work for us. In practice, we treat a justified -1 from any community member as a veto. We put much more emphasis on testing binaries than on building from source. I suppose in theory when we see a justified -1 all PMC members should change their votes to -1, and change them back to +1 if and when the problem is resolved.