Hi Dave, all

I proposed the following new logic on the comdev mailing list.

Who is permitted to vote is, to some extent, a community-specific thing. However, the basic rule is that only PMC members have binding votes, and all other votes are advisory.

Much better with exactly the same meaning.

It turns out that this awful language on the voting page goes back to at least July 2004. Thanks to Pedro for pointing it out. It should be changed in the next few days.

Thank _you_ for listening.

I still don't understand why ASF is/was so strict. ASF Software is still "distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied"

(all the SHOUTING copied ipsis verbis from the ASF page http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers)

So what is all the "rules are there to protect all PMC members with an insurance and a legal shield" argumentation about? The software is provided as is without warranties...

Kind regards,
Pedro