Am 28.03.2018 um 03:08 schrieb Kay Schenk:
On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, 15:44 Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:

Am 27.03.2018 um 22:25 schrieb Kay Schenk:
I would like  to change our .htaccess file for www.openoffice.org
to allow for diretory contents listing when no "default" index.html file
is
available.

This would be changing the first line of .htaccess from this:

Options +Includes +MultiViews

to this:

Options +Includes +MultiViews +Indexes

tested with my local setup and all good. This would allow for depositing
files in a given area without the need for an index.html file with links
the files.

I had no idea what "+Indexes" will do. With a quick search I found this
[1].

Yes? no? thoughts?

Are you suggesting to use this option as globally or for special
directories only?

Yes, I was suggesting this and knew the consequences as described in the
link you sent. Given that our website is accessible in its entirety through
browsing svn, I didn't think enabling this globally would be so different
from that.

If globally then I don't think that we should present the raw files of
any directory when there is no index file available. This isn't simply
the way we should go.

OK. What are your feelings on enabling this in selected directories when
needed?

that would be OK. Even when I think it would be better to add an index file than to allow browsing the file directory.

[1]

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15837822/what-is-the-htaccess-options-indexes-for

Marcus