Hello Branko,

On 21.07.19 07:24, Mechtilde wrote:

> Am 21.07.19 um 02:01 schrieb Branko Čibej:
>> On Sun, 21 Jul 2019, 01:42 Peter Kovacs, <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi brane,
>>>
>>> The threads are linked in my first post.
>>>
>> Thanks ... Sorry I missed those.
you are welcome. No issue.

>>> It is for me a workflow thing.
>>> I need a decentral versioning system instead of a central one.
>>>

>> Which particular "decentralised" feature do you miss most? For example,
>> there's work going on to implement client-side shelving (similar to 'git
>> stash'), it's experimental but available in various forms  in the last 3
>> Subversion (minor) releases
> Most of the missing features were the reason why Git was developed.
> As Peter said SVN is centralized, Git is decentralized.
> With Git you can do your own home branch without publishing for testing.
> And then you can do a Merge Request (on Github it is named Pull Request)
> With Git you need one Repo e.g. with the two branches trunk and 42x.
> With SVN you have two branches to checkout. So you need double space to
> hold the repo locally for testing
I am not sure what you mean, you can do a SVN switch <branch path>,
which IMO does the same thing as you would do in git with git checkout
<branch>. I would probably clone 2 times with git anyhow. So for me
there is no difference.

Let me recap as use case description. Maybe it is more helpful.

1) As a user I want to be able to version my personal changes without
affecting other developers.

2) As a user I want to be able to have an intermediate repository, to be
able to checkout on different VMs in order to do private testing before
publishing.

3) As a user I would like to alias commands to my need or whish and
trade these settings with others developers in m community.

4) As a user I want o be aware how the SVN right management is set. We
had issues with this. This was not the decision in favour for git but
for cWiki. And I add this now, since I do a use case recap :P

5) As a user I want to be able to design workflows, for commits,
triggering tasks. For example review a commit fron annoymous login,
before commit is done. (The "github" feature ;) )

>> I assume you mean git-svn? I'm not surprised.
>>
>> Thanks for taking the time to respond. Looks like nothing short of making
>> svn just another git would make you change your mind. :)
> No.

I have no requirement for SVN to copy git. There are sufficient other
ways to full fill the requirements i have. And we do initiate the switch
after 2 years the decision have been made. That should tell you how
important the switch has been in the last  2 years.

I have no issues in returning to SVN in future. And I hope SVN sticks
around. I like to have it on work.