On 29.07.19 17:18, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Am 29.07.19 um 00:39 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> A different suggestion we use the git commit count. The command is:
>>
>> |git rev-list --all --count It will deliver something that looks similar
>> to the svn number we already use. All the Best Peter |
> How would such a simple count point to a specific commit/revision?

I checked this,. In theory it should but there are a lots of option how
to count in git.

Which makes this not so optimal as on first glance. But it seems a lot
of people use it to stick to a revision number.

So there seems to be only 2 true options for referencing the commit:

1) We use the short hash.

2) We tag releases automatically at checkin.

Tbh I would rather use the short hash.