Am 08.01.20 um 14:42 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
On Jan 7, 2020, at 11:35 AM, Matthias Seidel <matthias.sei...@hamburg.de> wrote:

Back to the topic:

Personally I don't see a reason for a 4.1.8 dev release.
It is only a micro update and I do build test versions (for Windows) on
a regular base [1].

I agree that from a development/bug/security PoV, a 4.1.8 is likely "not
needed". However, since we are now able to sign macOS releases and, I think, Windows
ones as well, doing a 4.1.8 simply to have current signed versions of 4.1.x available
does have some allure.

yes, it would be indeed an advantage.

However, the effort for a release is very high. With the signatures we have just a better user experience when installing on Windows and macOS. There is nothing for Linux.

But we have to go through the complete build process for all platforms to have a unique number for version, release, milestone build date, etc. This is mandatory for the download webpage.

IMHO it would be better when there is some more in the release that is pleasing all users.

My 2ct.

Marcus

But I am OK with 4.2.0 dev2, although I would like to have one
additional release blocker [2] fixed for that.
However we should include some new languages in the release process
(this list can be discussed):

  - Armenian (100% UI)
  - Estonian (100% UI)
  - Kabyle (95% UI)
  - Ukrainian (85% UI)
  - Oromo (85% UI)

For me the percentages are high enough to include these new languages; so we have then 46 officially supported langauges - at least when 4.2.20 is releases.

Marcus

[1] https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-418-Test/
[2] https://s.apache.org/gL35

Hi all,

On Ubuntu 19.10 this could be solved by installing openjdk-8-jdk. (I
also installed mesa-utils but I don't think it is needed)

Normally I would think that AOO can operate without Java, but that is
definitely something for the Release Notes.

Regards,

    Matthias

Hi Jim,